Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Impressions: Toy Story 3

Here on Cog Foundry, I don't fancy giving reviews that present a score but rather inform readers on how I feel about films on a personal level. Today I'll be giving my impressions on Toy Story 3, the latest film from Disney Pixar.



First and foremost, I would like to announce that I did watch this film in RealD 3D and while it did enhance the experience of the film, the addition of 3D doesn't add anything to the movie itself.

I remember watching the original Toy Story...that was many years ago but it affected my life forever, so much so that it influenced the direction of my future career in film. Toy Story 3 just as it's predecessors is a charming exploit into the life of a rag tag group of child's play things that seemingly have a mind of their own and can move about, converse, and at times be courageous by their own will. That Courage that I spoke of is a focal point of the series and tied in with a bit of selfishness turned selflessness blends together to truly show a bit of that Disney magic that we all grew up with as kids.

The voice cast is unparalleled with talents such as Tom Hanks and Tim Allen reprising their iconic roles as Woody and Buzz respectively while new talents Michael Keaton and Ned Beatty an provide voices for the adorable Ken and the evil lots-o-huggin bear. Every voice actor play their roles superbly and with devotion so once again I don't have any complaints.
As for the story, well I could write about how it hit home on many levels but you have to believe me when I say that of all the places, it's your heart that it will touch the hardest. I say this because I and several other guys in the cinema couldn't help but find something in their eyes, in my case whatever it I found, I will keep forever because it reminds me about how my life changed as I grew out of adolescence. The ending I refuse to give away but really do hope that this will be a new adventure in a saga that still holds my utmost attention on a personal and professional level.



As would be expected, the CGI in the film has taken a leap since Toy Story 2 but it still retains that character and is thankfully seamless on first approach. That said, the animation itself as expected is top tier and captures the individual characters to their last minute mannerisms.  The pacing in the film is near perfect and despite trying to find flaws in this aspect, I truly could not nitpick at any minor discrepancies that I forced upon myself.

End result? It's just as good as you would expect from any Pixar movie and thats putting the standard pretty high.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! What an incredible film by the greatest animation company in existence! :D

    Just one nitpick though, you spelled reprising reprisong... ;)

    ReplyDelete